MYRA'S PURPLE SOLES
This is not about a walk. It's about a LEGACY.
I walk with lupus everyday. I will never be worry-free about my health. It's just not an option. But I do have the option to use my resources to fight. And I fight everyday.
After my Aunt Myra's passing, my family was devestated. 34 is MUCH too young. I am 34 this year and can't fathom my life ending as abruptly as hers. When I was diagnosed, it felt like my life took a sudden halt. I was newly married, new job, new home -- and just like that I was sick for 2 weeks with no real answers. I slept for days, unable to awaken. My new husband insanely worried. We eventually found out, it was Lupus. That was 7 years ago. Now, I live a mostly normal life but overly attentive to my body because I have to be.
My family is unique because my mother and aunt (the three sisters, including Aunt Myra) were all diagnosed with Lupus. Its not common to have so many in one family with lupus
Most with symptoms overlook them. That's what my Aunt Myra did. And then it's too late. Myra's Purple Soles, was created 6 years ago to not only raise funds for a cure but to spread the love and legacy of Myra Martinez. It's become a lifelong passion to support the Lupus Foundation of America.
We are hopeful for a day when doctors can say, "There is a cure for lupus". Until that day though, there is work to be done. Join us as we participate in the Lupus Foundation of America's Walk to End Lupus Now! in San Antonio to raise critical funds for the estimated 1.5 million people living with lupus in the United States.
Ways you can help?
- Walk with us! It's free to join us and through your networks, participating would spread the awareness necessary.
- Donate! We have a team goal this year of $3,000 but that doesn't stop there. Help us support the studies necessary to reach our cure.
- Spread the word! If you can't donate or participate, spreading the word by sharing our page is SO IMPORTANT TO US!
Did you know?
- Lupus is a mysterious and misunderstood autoimmune disease. It strikes without warning, affects each person differently, and has no known causes or cure.
- Lupus symptoms can be severe and highly unpredictable and can damage any organ or tissue, from the skin or joints to the heart or kidneys.
- While lupus can strike anyone at any time, 90% of people living with lupus are women. Women of color are at especially high risk.
- Only one drug has ever been developed and approved by the US Food and Drug Administration specifically to treat the disease.
Together, we can solve the cruel mystery of lupus. Thank you for your generosity!